Developed by Cloud Imperium Games™ (CIG), Star Citizen is truly the most anticipated space simulation and sandbox game of the century.
“Alpha 2.0 is a major breakthrough for Star Citizen,” said Chris Roberts, renowned game developer known for his games Wing Commander, Freelancer, and Privateer. “It represents the first true slice of gameplay that includes much of what Star Citizen will bring to our fans: thrilling space combat in a massive play area, first-person battles, and multi-crew ships where you and your friends can adventure together in a portion of the universe on the same ship. It’s all technology that has never been understaken to this scale and depth before in our industry.”
Some features of Star Citizen Alpha 2.0
- EVA (Extra Vehicular Activity): drift out of your ship’s airlock and venture into the void of space and back
- 20+ random encounters: combat and exploration (lost wrecks and abandoned space stations)
- Quantum travel: travel in ships through the vastness of space at 0.2 the speed of light
- New flyable ships including the Constellation, the Retaliator, and the Vanguard
- Large world tech: explore extremely large expanses of space seamlessly, without loading screens
- New areas to explore:
- One planet (Crusader)
- Three moons
- Three distinct space stations
- One repair/restock station
- Nine comm arrays
- Wreckage to scavenge and never-ending battles in the Yela asteroid belt
- and much, much more…
* For more features, check out this announcement post. Or you can watch the Alpha 2.0 trailer below.
Star Citizen continues to create a record in the industry, even at this stage of the game.
- More than one million “citizens”
- More than thirty-two thousand fan-created organizations
- The largest fan-created organization has more than eleven thousand members
- Many backers have direct access to the development team and as such influences and gives direct feedback to its development
“We are forever grateful for our backs and fans,” said Roberts. “They have been there from the beginning when we launched Star Citizen’s funding campaign three years ago. And they’ve helped create the most passionate and loyal community in our industry. They are helping us every step along the way in creating the best damn space sim ever.”
About Star Citizen
Star Citizen is 100% crowd-funded and was officially announced on October 10, 2012. The money raised pays for the development of the game including the Roberts Space Industries platform where fans and backers can interact with the team, view multiple weekly webcasts, learn about the story behind the game, read constant updates on the game’s progress, and much more.
If you are interested in backing the project, follow these steps:
- Create a Star Citizen account here
- Use this code to get 5,000 UEC (worth $5.00): STAR-MXJG-5TDH
- Verify your account by checking the email address you used for the registration
- Log-in and visit this link to pledge
Related articles across the web
Is a self-confessed bibliophile and technophile other than being an early adopter, an avid gamer, a geek, nerd, role-player, anime otaku, and trekker.
His first online project was in 1998 when he launched the unofficial website for Ansalon MUD (a text-based, telnet online game) and his own community forums Laibcoms.Community. By 2003 he created his work blog GM-Yukino which grew into gameshogun™, Snoworld™, and techmagus™ over the years.
Yuki’s latest project is Verses.Space™, a Free Culture / Creative Commons, collaborative, and shared-world, worldbuilding and writing project.
<span class='p-name'>Record-breaking Star Citizen Releases Alpha 2.0</span> by gameshogun™ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Legal Notice.