Ragnarok Online Philippines held its first ever offline community event — RagnaFestival — last week, and on that same week, they also held an exclusive Press Conference. What have we learned during the ROPH week?
Filipino gamers are excited about the return of Ragnarok Online in the Philippines. It was the second official server MMOG launched in the country (the first was Oz World, which was launched in 2002). Philippine Ragnarok Online or pRO, as it was known, went online in the first week of June 2003, the second MMOG under Level Up! Games.
Yours truly was one of three first pRO GameMaster after GM-Prætor, my handle was GM-Yukino. We held the official launch sometime September of 2003 at the Glorietta Activity Center and filled the whole area, even overflowing. It was our first ever offline event.
Fourteen years later, Ragnarok Online Philippines, by Electronics Extreme and Elite Global Sourcing, held their first offline community event at SM North Annex Cyberzone, weeks before the start of ROPH‘s beta test. They filled the place, though small, the line of gamers waiting to get inside the event proper reached the ground floor of the said mall.
One thing I and other bloggers from the pRO days noticed, we did not see anyone from the pRO team (other than myself of course) and there was only one original pRO guild who made themselves known — Steel Wolves. We realised that ROPH’s community, at least when it comes to offline events, are and will be from the newer generation of gamers, perhaps from the communities of the many illegal Philippine RO private servers.
This is good for ROPH overall. It means the community will have a different set of requests and demands. There will be new faces and guilds. And it will be a future unwritten and unpredictable. Though, it would be interesting to see the original guilds battle it out with the younger fans. We will see if this will happen once the game is out. (Or will Steel Wolves dominate ROPH?)
The main course of the ROPH week was to announce important tid bits of information gamers are waiting for.
- Closed Beta Test (“CBT”) will begin sometime mid-June 2017
- Custom events for the Philippines will be available
- Key in-game items from the previous RO that can only be acquired by purchasing, will now be available in the game
- ROPH will be “Free2Win” and not “Pay2Win” — there will be an Item Mall but the items from it will only give a slight advantage
- Drop and Experience Rate will be at ×1 only — remember, this is the official server
- Class availability will begin at 2-1. Yes, the classic classes. 2-2 Class is scheduled to arrive 6 months after launch, and then the High Classes much later.
- Remember ROPH asking about “Classic or Renewal” RO? They decided to release ROPH with what they call Revo-Classic. In Revo-Classic, the classic maps will be available like the original Morroc at the same time, Louyang and Amatsu, to mention two, will be accessible from Day 1.
- 2 servers on Day 1: Loki and Thor
Game registration is now up, setup your account today: https://ragnarokonline.com.ph However, be warned, their registration page is only accepting a very small set of domain names, thus, I strongly advise that you use @gmail.com when creating your account. This is the first thing that they need to fix, soon.
Check our ROPH FAQ.
Related articles across the web
Is a self-confessed bibliophile and technophile other than being an early adopter, an avid gamer, a geek, nerd, role-player, anime otaku, and trekker.
His first online project was in 1998 when he launched the unofficial website for Ansalon MUD (a text-based, telnet online game) and his own community forums Laibcoms.Community. By 2003 he created his work blog GM-Yukino which grew into gameshogun™, Snoworld™, and techmagus™ over the years.
Yuki’s latest project is Verses.Space™, a Free Culture / Creative Commons, collaborative, and shared-world, worldbuilding and writing project.
Ragnarok Online Philippines Week by gameshogun™ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Legal Notice.