World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Pre-Patch “3.0.2: Echoes of Doom” has arrived. With it comes new features, new technology, and new systems for the game and entertainment of the millions of active subscribers of the game.
To highlight what I think will get you excited about Patch 3.0.2:
- Talent Points reimbursement for the new 51-point talents
- New spells and abilities for all classes
- Dalaran, the City of the Kirin Tor, floated and moved to Northrend. A huge crater was left at its wake.
- Barber Shops are now open for business in all major cities.
- Achievements System now available for everyone’s enjoyment
- The Stormwind Harbor construction is finally over. Boats from Auberdine now docks to the Harbor.
- New towers were erected in front of Orgrimmar and the Undercity to service the new Zeppelins that leads travles to Northrend.
- Inscription, the new profession is now available to level up to 375 (it will be locked on November 13 until you enter a WotLK Key)
- Hunters can now tame Exotic Pets in the 51-Point BeastMaster Tree.
- Many buffs now affect the whole raid within the Area of Effect.
- New Built-In Calendar – tracks in-game events, allow raid scheduling, and more.
- All Vanity Pets and Mounts will be be in its own Pets Tab, freeing up bag spaces!
- Marks of Honor and Badges are now under the Currency Tab, freeing up bag spaces!
- Quests can be shared with party members at any distance.
- Quests can be shared with party members by linking the quest into the party chat.
- Quests can be shared in raids.
- /cower emote has an animation
- Macros and Key Bindings are now saved server-side!
- Loot your mails by Shift-clicking it
- Druids and Shaman can now use items while shapeshifted.
- The Death Knight sub-zone in the Eastern Plaguelands is now available!
- Azeroth World Map updated showing the Continent of Northrend.
- New, accurate model of Sylvanas
- New model for Varimathras
- Training Dummies
- And many more…
(You can check the latest PTR/Live Patch Notes here until Blizzard updates the Official Community Site.)
To help everyone with the transition and the new features, here are some sites I recommend for everyone, not just to prepare for the changes (like the new Talent Trees), but to track improvements of your characters (like Achievements).
- Prepare your new talents with WoWHead’s 51-Point Talent Calculator
- Prepare your Pet Talents with WoWHead’s Pet Calculator
- The New Pet System and Exotic Pets: Pet System v3
- Track your achievements and compare it with your friends via the WoW Achievements site
- List of All Achievements you can possibly attain: Achievements List
- Audit your Character and see if your character is IMBA! – Be Imba! Character Auditor
- Looking for Glyphs? Check the Glyphs List by WoWHead
And finally, here are some tips on how to smoothly upgrade after your client patches to 3.0.2:
- Delete your WDB folder – /World of Warcraft/Cache/WDB/
- Cut and Paste your AddOns folder somewhere else – /World of Warcraft/Interface/AddOns/
- Cut and Paste your WTF folder somewhere else – /World of Warcraft/WTF/
- Start WoW and login
- Setup your Client to your liking (there are new features so go through each settings) then logout gracefully (click ‘Logout’ not the ‘Exit Game’ button)
- Once on the Character Screen, then exit the game gracefully (go back to the login screen then exit)
- Make a back-up of your new WTF folder
- Install your Add-Ons
- Log-in and re-setup your Add-Ons
- Repeat the step above for each your character
- Then log-out and exit the game gracefully
- Create another back-up of your WTF folder
You’re done! When there are major patches, especially “Expansion Pre-Patches”, it is highly recommended that you start from scratch again. There are many changes in the game and in most Add-Ons, keeping your old settings might only give you more problems in the long-run.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy version 3 of World of Warcraft as much as I do.
If you still haven’t bought/reserved your copy of WotLK, just choose from one of these stores:
- Interact! – a US store that ships anywhere. You can also ask them to send you the Key first before shipping your box, so you can get in the game quickly than waiting for the arrival of your game.
- Play-Asia – an option to send your game box via FedEx.
* Yes you can play WotLK as soon as you entered the appropriate Key. You do NOT need to install the DVD that comes with the box. Everything related to the new expansion is included in Patch 3.0.2 and the succeeding patches. The client that the DVD will install is an old 3.0.2 patch or even older than that.
Is a self-confessed bibliophile and technophile other than being an early adopter, an avid gamer, a geek, nerd, role-player, anime otaku, and trekker.
His first online project was in 1998 when he launched the unofficial website for Ansalon MUD (a text-based, telnet online game) and his own community forums Laibcoms.Community. By 2003 he created his work blog GM-Yukino which grew into gameshogun™, Snoworld™, and techmagus™ over the years.
Yuki’s latest project is Verses.Space™, a Free Culture / Creative Commons, collaborative, and shared-world, worldbuilding and writing project.
Doom is Upon Us – Wrath of the Lich King by gameshogun™ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Legal Notice.