In time for the holiday shopping season, and after fulfilling 15k units to Indiegogo backers, interactive Augmented Reality startup Proxy42 announced the launch of Father.IO and the complementary Inceptor device. Father.IO combines familiar mechanics found in First-Person Shooter games and fuses them with tactical AR gameplay that, when paired with an Inceptor, creates an unparalleled Augmented Reality experience.
For fans of FPS games, they will be thrilled to know that Father.IO is an Augmented Reality FPS game. Yes, soldier, it is time move, move, move and get out of that gaming chair of yours! In this game you have to literally walk, hide, run, and find your opponent to play it!
Father.IO converts squares, public parks, and outdoor spaces into massive battlefields — no holds barred. There are four distinct classes in the game, each with their own weapons, abilities, and upgrades. Players can play solo and have a 32-player free-for-all deathmatch, or play in a 16-vs-16 team match where teamwork is highly encouraged to coordinate attacks and strategy, and set up ambushes on unsuspecting opponents. Like in any other FPS games, players can respawn and re-enter the game with a vengeance.
Not only does Father.IO utilises the latest AR technology, like the Apple ARKit and Core ML, it also has an Inceptor to give a laser tag-like experience. It is a keychain-size device that can be paired with an iOS or Android smartphone via Bluetooth. Inside the Inceptor is a proprietary infrared projection and sensing technology that allows it to communicate with other units to enable an accuracy of up to 150 feet away!
- Experience thrilling battles in first-person and hit your opponents up to 50m/150ft distance
- Locate your teammates and spot your enemies via an advanced real-time GPS location system and satellite map
- Pick the mode you like: 16-vs-16 team match or 32 players free-for-all deathmatch
- Four (4) classes with unique GPS-based abilities: Ammo crate, Medikit, EMP and Claymore
- CQC or Sniper style? Choose between 4 different weapons–Assault rifle, Sniper rifle, SMG, and handgun–each with different shooting distance and accuracy, rate of fire, and damage potential. Play the way you want!
- Dominate your enemies with headshots of up to 15m distance!
Father.IO Inceptor Features
- Bluetooth 4 connection. Provides instant feedback to the player with no lag and has the highest energy efficiency rating for Inceptor’s stand-alone battery.
- Tiny but incredibly powerful. A pocket-size device able to hit enemies at 50m/150ft distance.
- Universal mounting. Compatible with any smartphone up to 8cm (3.15in) wide.
- Integrated LED lights. Identify your teammates, call out your opponents, and keep control over the match at a simple glance.
The Road to Success
Proxy42 first introduced Father.IO in 2016 on Indiegogo where it raised more than U$458,000 which was 900% more than the original goal. They were also able to sold more than 15,000 Inceptor units to more than 7,000 backers.
It did not end there. After the Indiegogo campaign, the team raised U$2 million from Lenovo Capital and leading Chinese game publisher iDreamSky in a strategic investment round. They have also partnered with product developer and specialty retailer Brookstone to manufacture the Incepter and serve as the exclusive North American retailer and distributor.
November 16, 2017. The date supporters are waiting for. Proxy42 began fulfilling backer shipments for the Inceptor.
“We knew we had something special when we wrote the first lines of code for Father.IO. Out thoughts were confirmed when our Indiegogo campaign went viral and soared past its original goal. The entertainment world has been looking for something revolutionary since the original Doom revealed the possibilities of 3D gaming, and we believe that Proxy42 can use AR technology to show new ways you can play games,” said Francesco Ferrazzino, CEO and Founder of Proxy42 and inventor of Father.IO. “We’re excited to finally share Father.IO with the world. This whole journey feels like a dream and while we are proud of what Proxy42 has been able to accomplish so far, this is only the beginning. We will continue to innovate new ways to use AR and usher in a new era of gaming. Fair warning, once you play Father.IO, you’ll never want to go back to your console.”
Father.IO is now available as a free download on Google Play and the App Store, while the Inceptor is available for pre-order online from specialty retailer Brookstone and Amazon for U$39.99 with shipments rolling out within a month.
Related articles across the web
Is a self-confessed bibliophile and technophile other than being an early adopter, an avid gamer, a geek, nerd, role-player, anime otaku, and trekker.
His first online project was in 1998 when he launched the unofficial website for Ansalon MUD (a text-based, telnet online game) and his own community forums Laibcoms.Community. By 2003 he created his work blog GM-Yukino which grew into gameshogun™, Snoworld™, and techmagus™ over the years.
Yuki’s latest project is Verses.Space™, a Free Culture / Creative Commons, collaborative, and shared-world, worldbuilding and writing project.
Augmented Reality FPS Game, Father.IO Launches by gameshogun™ 🎲 is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Legal Notice.